sub or dub??

Here you can talk about anything anime and manga related.

Moderators: FirstBorn, Zephio, Ceta

Kitsune

sub or dub??

Post by Kitsune » Sat May 31, 2008 10:45 pm

I personally cant stand dubbed anime as most of the time the dubbing is horrific and the chacters just dont sound right so when i can i listen to the japanese with subtitile on the bottom, most of my friends think that is pretty strange and moan at me when we are watching something, so i was wondering what everyone else thought??

(if this is in the wrong thread please move it )
I Think Exalibur is an Idiot

Joellie

Post by Joellie » Sat May 31, 2008 11:01 pm

I agree with you. They wouldnt be the same without the japanese! When i watched Grave of the Fireflys, i couldnt imagine them speaking english! The voices were picked for the character any other voice would have ruined it :)

Kitsune

Post by Kitsune » Sat May 31, 2008 11:25 pm

i find as well that they actually change to dialogue so that it flows better with the dubbing but i like the way that the subbed version seems that little more true to what was said in the first place. if you have sen the Saiyuki movie the dubbed voices on that are insane. nothing like what i imagined from the manga

Joellie

Post by Joellie » Sat May 31, 2008 11:59 pm

No i havent! I havent seen much anime, nor have i read much, but im learning :) I just know that i remember seeing one a few years ago, not that i remember the name, but it was a really badly dubbed one.

Its not just anime that needs to keep its language, any film that was filmed in a certain language should stay in that langauge.

Kitsune

Post by Kitsune » Sun Jun 01, 2008 12:53 am

you know that the libaries have a lot more anime and manga than they used too. itrs because of the second coming of manga, you should check out your local one and get your self exposed to some different styles and stories with out having to pay for it :wink:

Joellie

Post by Joellie » Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:38 pm

Goodplan! I went into town today but the library was closed as its sunday!so i will have to go back in soon to see what they have. I know of a few, but il try a few different ones to start off with :)

Dustin C.
Jounin Moderator

Post by Dustin C. » Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:44 am

there is one dubbing company the is infamous for butchering quality anime. 4kids. bleck.

personally i dont mind dubbing as long as its good or tolerable. but i don prefer subs as well, it makes it feel like a real anime if its subbed.

t1

Post by t1 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:38 am

i agree with you all about the subbed thing but there are still some good dubbed anime shows like demon eyes kyo and samurai champloo

killerkun

Post by killerkun » Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:00 am

i can only stand mexican spanish (Those guys on spain suck hard) dubbing, but i like it more if i can hear something in its original language :D

Aether
Location: the quieter you become, the more you are able to hear

Post by Aether » Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:36 pm

I have an idea. It's crazy... but it might just work.
Watch the english version first... and don't watch the originals. :P
That way... you have no choice but to accept the english version! :D

I think there's one anime that did well with the dubs. FullMetal Alchemist. I find that it suits it a lot more since it's set in more of a european country. And also... it's just awesome.

4Kids... kill... them... D:<
They ruined Naruto for me... I am 1/2 pissed and 1/2 thankful. Pissed because it seems like a pretty good series, and they just kept repeating bloody One Piece... I watched the series up to the desert place 4 fucking times! D:<
Thankful because I'm not a Narutard... there's one upper. o_O

But yeah... for me... I'd have to go dubs. I like to hear what's going on so I can look at the art while I watch it. Otherwise if it's sub you miss a lot of the art.

Joellie

Post by Joellie » Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:15 pm

I dunno, its wierd, but with subs, i kinda just blend it all in together, so i do watch it but at the same time reading. I get much more involved in it.

I guess with anime, its not as bad as non-animated films. Because animated films are drawn so the characters use sound shapes of the mouth when speaking. With non animated people are really talking, so you can tell when the world they are saying is wrong lol

Dustin C.
Jounin Moderator

Post by Dustin C. » Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:27 pm

aether, 4kids didnt dub naruto, Viz took that up, and i actually think they did a decent job. i mean, naruto actually does sound like a 13 y.o they kept the original musical scores, and are even showing the opening themes with subs at the bottom. of course the original is better though.

but poor poor one piece. :(
it's my favorite series, and they poop all over it. not just with atrocious voice acting, but all the cuts!!! they literally cut out AN ENTIRE STORY ARC!!!

but good news!!! the newly remastered and redubbed first season of One Piece by Funimation just came out!!! uncut! great voice acting! NO constant goofy-ass background music! translated opening AND ending songs! and blood and guns too!
so look forward to seeing more new episodes on tv soon! OP is gonna finish the skypiea arc!

monkey

Post by monkey » Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:55 pm

i only watch anime with subs. when i watch dubs i wouldnt be able to enjoy the anime as i would only rant about how stupid everything sounds but sometimes when its just too stupid you have a good time laughing. and even if the dub is good i would always prefer the subbed version. aannd when watching subbed anime i can learn some japanese words..
Aether wrote:I have an idea. It's crazy... but it might just work.
Watch the english version first... and don't watch the originals. :P
That way... you have no choice but to accept the english version! :D
lol if i would do that the pc would be already crashed before the episode has even finished.. yep thats how much i like dub =D

Kitsune

Post by Kitsune » Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:46 pm

i agree thaat some dubbed stuff is hilarious like puni puni poemy when i see something badly dubbed it always make sme think of resi evil to with Leon's "don't shoot... I'm a human!"

And you dont miss out on the artwork with a subby as most times when you get a choice its a dvd and if you OWN it you canwatch it as much as you like. I just feel that most of the time the dubbed voiuce doesnt match the charcter and i can think of a few times where a male chacter has been dubbed with a female chacters voice.

one dubbed i really disliked was excell saga as the voice actress couldn't speak as fast and as crazy as the origional Japanese and she just sounded really hoarse and grated.

bloodyspasm

Post by bloodyspasm » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:04 am

I detest dubs...

especially dutch one, it was just yesterday when I noticed how they were raping the ears of kids all over Belgium with the Yu-gi-Oh Dubs...

absolutely horrible!